Wednesday, September 16, 2009

One day they'll invent a job where you fuck up interviews

...and I'll be able to retire early.

Okay, technically, it wasn't an interview, since she was a recruiter. But I guess I can safely assume I'll never land an interview through this lady.

RECRUITER: How would you rate your Java development skills?

TACO: Well, now, the thing is, I was just reading an article about this sort of thing a few weeks ago. And it turns out, people are really bad at self-assessment of skill level. People who are bad at a skill generally overestimate their ability because they lack the skill necessary to recognize how poorly they're doing. Whereas people who are very good at a skill generally underestimate their ability because they assume that if they can do it, everyone must be able to. So, since I've read that, your result set is now contaminated. I should game the system by deliberately underreporting my skills.

RECRUITER: [muttering as she makes a note] Well, you're a geek, clearly.

TACO: If you'd like to get a more accurate feel for where my skill level lies, I'd be happy to discuss a few technical topics with you. How about the Law of Demeter? Although every toddler in the country knows that one.

RECRUITER: Eh?

TACO: "Don't talk to strangers." I hate you, Larry.

RECRUITER: Who?

TACO: Long story. I've got a habit of telling my friend Larry I hate him whenever I hear a joke like that now. Sorry.

RECRUITER: I see.

TACO: Anyway, it's called the Law of Demeter because it originated in a project called Demeter. Which I always thought was a shame, because given the rule, it really should be called the Law of Persephone.

RECRUITER: I hate you, Larry?

TACO: Now you're gettin' it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would have hired you on the spot regardless of the job.

The Taco Prophet said...

*takes the job*

*sues you for sexual harassment*

*wins*

You heard the judge. Get sexual harassin'!

Unknown said...

Dear Penthouse Forums...