Friday, September 11, 2009

Pushin' Forward Back

Last week, around the middle of the week, I realized that it had been quite a few days since I so much as touched the damn story. That's what I do: I get intimidated by some tiny little detail, avoid it for a while as my paranoia inflates it to epic stature, then run completely out of steam.

Wednesday night, I forced myself to write some more. I managed 270 words. Not a lot, but pretty respectable for me. I wasn't very happy with it, but I did some light editing while I transcribed a bit in IMs to Coyote, and found myself reasonably pleased. For now.

I'm now into the very last bit of the story proper, and worked myself up again, and started avoiding the story again. I realized tonight that I was repeating -- well, not history. Present? -- and forced myself to write again. Once I got going, it got out of hand, and about 450 words ran out of the pen tonight before I got too tired to continue. There's only one important concept left to work into the scene now, and then all that remains is to find the end.

And then I have to write what I've been calling the bookends, though in truth, they're more like interstitial excerpts from a pamphlet in the story. Writing that part really scares the shit out of me. So I'll probably avoid it like the plague. Though snippets of the excerpts have been rising unbidden into my brain when I'm not paying attention for the past couple of days. So we'll see.

The other morning, I passed a car on the way into work that had a sticker on the rear window that said LWFC. I've decided to read that as an acronym for "Local Women's Fight Club" but that might just be a side effect of having been listening to Jucifer at the time.

My friend Dave brought this article from Computerworld to my attention the other day, and it seems to be making the rounds. It's basically an article about how to deal with IT people's quirks from a management perspective. They're referring to IT in the strictest sense, but I found that a lot of it applies to any computer nerd. I know I recognized some of the dysfunctional behaviors they describe in my own routines. One of the more interesting thoughts I took from the article is that no employee is completely happy, and you hire computer geeks to work around difficult problems... so if you're never hearing any complaints from your computer geeks, you're probably the difficult problem they're working around.

Attending a funeral for a guy I went to high school with tomorrow. I didn't know him very well, but his brother's an old friend of mine. His passing has kinda rattled my cage. He was younger than me, and the same age as my brother. I guess we're not young and invincible any more. Who the fuck dug up the kryptonite? Put that shit back where you found it, asshole.

And his name that sat on him was Taco, and Whiskey Jack followed with him. To Baltimore. In less than a week. Bitches.

2 comments:

kr4ster said...

Liked your CW article. Here's one I saw fly-by the other day: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/09/03/professional-team-management-tips-for-creative-folks/

For whatever reason, management theory still likes to treat software developers as if they were workers on a factory floor, as opposed to truly creative and self-led/self-motivated professionals.

Karn said...

Very good article. I passed it around here, and we all decided that it was too bad it was in a tech rag and not management weekly or some such.