Monday, January 4, 2010

My Holiday Movie Binge

I already had quite a backlog. I've been on a DVD-watching dry spell for a while. Partly because it's a fun way to drive Coyote insane (no, I'll never watch Hot Fuzz). But the pile finally started to call to me. And the post-Christmas DVD sale at Target netted me some sweet sets. I succumbed.

District 9. I wanted to watch this so bad when it was in the theater, but work was insane at the time, and I never managed it. Really fantastic film. Though I do have to wonder why the aliens went through the trouble of developing weaponry that would only respond to their genetic code.

9. Ditto on this one. Was desperate to see it in the theater, but damn work. Advice if you haven't bought it yet: don't buy it at the same time as District 9 like I did. All those 9s confused the register monkey, and she double charged me for this title. I had to go stand in line at customer service to get my money back. The lady at customer service was a bitch. Fucking Best Buy.

I heard pretty ambivalent things about this one. Most of the reviews I saw said it was visually fantastic, but had a weak story. I quite enjoyed the story. And I did find the visuals quite amazing. Learning of the stitchpunks' origins does seem to take a bit of the awe and magic out of the world, but I still loved it. Then again, I'm a sucker for a post-apocalyptic setting.

Paranormal Activity. Holy fucking hell. Our household is divided on the ending (wifezilla prefers the alternate ending, while I found the theatrical ending to be far more hair-raising). We're pretty much united on the "it's goddamn scary" front, though.

True Blood. I knew basically nothing about the show, but a couple people I know have said good things about it. Been thinking about picking it up on Netflix. Target only wanted $17 for season 1 after Christmas, though, so I figured it was can't-lose... if I didn't like it, I could get most of my money back at the used bookstore down the street.

How little I knew of the show was quickly apparent: Didn't realize Anna Paquin was in the show. If I'd known, I probably wouldn't have bought the DVDs. I hated her in the X-Men movies. Fairly impressed with her in this show so far, though. Also, if I'd known it was based on the Charlaine Harris books, I probably wouldn't have checked it out. For some reason, I instinctively hate those books. In truth, I know jack shit about them, so I don't have any rational reason. I just saw them on the shelf and hated them. I'm enjoying the show (though wifezilla informs me there's a lot more sex & violence in the show than the books, so maybe my bookhate/showlove is well-advised... vamps and sex & violence go together like... uh... vamps and sex & violence).

So we'll see. I'm only two eps in. Liking it so far though.

Buffy. More vamps. The binge continues. Half way through season 3. Yay. Love this show. Should've given it a fair shake all those years ago when it was on TV. Who knew it didn't suck like the movie? Gonna have to get Angel when I finish this run.

Big Bang Theory. Love the show, but I'm bad at TV so I miss it all the time. Got seasons 1 and 2, so I can finally catch up on all the episodes I miss. I'm not Sheldon.

Castle. Cap'n Mal. Stana Katic. Yummy.

Stargate SG-1. Yeah, I'm a latecomer to the show. Saw a few episodes during the late, great Sci-fi Friday (why the hell did they dismantle that?) and discovered I really liked it. I got a late birthday card with a gift cert to my favorite used bookstore tucked inside. Promptly ran over to pick up some SG-1, found season 1, got distracted... and accidentally bought season 5. Sigh. At least I have plenty of other stuff to watch.

Tropic Thunder. I've had it from Netflix long enough to have set a new Taco record for sitting on my counter. And if you know me, you know how impressive that is. Almost watched it the other night. But we forgot.

Hot Fuzz. Nevar! (But only because it drives Coyote insane.)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Watch Hot Fuzz, damn it!

Anyway, I loved District 9 to pieces. Well written, well acted and visually stunning. I assumed they did the weapon thing because they'd encountered aliens in the past who turned out to be hostile but that's probably me reaching.

For 9, I probably would have liked it better if I hadn't seen the original short. The lack of talking in the short was very striking. I didn't think the story was weak in the feature but it wasn't nearly as good as the visuals.

Paranormal Activity. *shudder* This is my kinda horror. Fucked creeped me out and it only got worse after I got home from the theater. I had to start sleeping with the bedroom door closed and I still do even now months later.

I knew all that stuff about True Blood but watched it anyway because it's an Alan Ball show and I loved American Beauty, Six Feet Under, Towelhead, etc so it was a no brainer.

Buffy rules!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one accused of being Sheldon. What could have been a one trick pony of a show turned out to be damn good and getting better each season.

I admit I never would have watched Castle if Cap'n Mal wasn't in it but I'm glad he is. It's a good show.

I've never seen any of the Stargate TV shows. Liked the movie though. Mmmm...Kurt Russell.

Tropic Thunder is fucking hysterical. Full on belly laughing hysterical.

To sum up, watch Hot Fuzz!!

The Taco Prophet said...

That was my reach on District 9, too. In my more honest moments, I admit it was just a plot device so they could tell the story, and they do a fucking great job of it, so yay.

Agreed on 9. The short was amazing, and powerful. I still love the flick.

Paranormal Activity scared the piss out of me. I admitted as much to my son, which caused him to redouble his begging to watch it. Because that's what I need. An 8 year old who's permanently terrified from watching that movie.

I didn't know Alan Ball was involved until you posted that. I recognize his fingerprints all over the show now that you've said it. Sold. I may come to not hate the Paquin over this.

Yay Buffy!

I totally stole your line and tell people "I'm not Sheldon, I'm much prettier than Sheldon," all the time.

I only started watching Castle because of Cap'n Mal. Bonus points: Stana Katic is awesome and sooooooo fucking gorgeous. The show turns out to be really great, too. Win.

I liked the Stargate movie quite a bit. I've really enjoyed the SG-1 episodes I've seen. I don't much care for wha I've seen of Atlantis (it's too clean and pretty, and I'm more for the grungy not-so-different sci-fi recently). Some of my friends have told me that's not indicative of the show in the long run, so maybe I'll give it another chance. I tried to like Stargate Universe, but couldn't.

Gonna watch it. I've only had it from Netflix for 44 days. That's not a record after all. I've had the other disc for 115 though.

Nevar!

suyapi said...

Couple of things.

First, seriously, watch Hot Fuzz!

Second, the scene in District 9 where he first uses the canon on one of the gang thugs and blows him backwards through the wall? Evidently that actually happened. Seriously. They used this air cannon, and jacked up the air too high. Blew the guy through the wall, knocked him out, broke some ribs, etc.

SG-1 has it's stupid moments, but I liked it. I didn't want to like Atlantis at first, but it grows on you a whole lot. Give it a shot.

The Taco Prophet said...

I'm not Sheldon, damn it.

I get far more entertainment from how much it annoys Coyote that I haven't seen Hot Fuzz than I could possibly get from watching it.

I love when weird random accidents happen that work well in the movie and get added.

One of the first episodes of SG-1 I saw was the... 200th?... episode that they did all the silly shit in, like the marionette bits. Confused? Me?

I'll give Atlantis a shot on the strength of your recommendation. Once I'm done with SG-1. Once I manage to buy the right seasons.

oooooops said...

True Blood has gotten "meh" for me - the plus is you do get to Anna Paquin's tatas. I'm not sure I'll be watching next season though.

And Hot Fuzz - really - you gotta watch it.

Tropic Thunder (as stated before) was not my cup o' tea.

And you totally are Sheldon ...

Tim said...

I see Taco not watching Tropic Thunder in my head movies, and it makes my eyes rain.

kr4ster said...

Tropic Thunder - I liked specific parts, but not really the movie as a whole. Loved Tom Cruise in this movie.

District 9 - Visually stunning, and well thought-out. There were places that dragged-on for me, but all-in-all a decent movie.

Buffy - I've never seen an episode. Just thinking about the show makes me a bit queasy.

True Blood - I've been following this show since the first episode. The first year is kind of 'meh'; but after a while it will grow on you. I've found that I really like the mythos, it's almost like a real -life version of a White Wolf game. One of my favourite lines:
A: You're not a werewolf, are you?
S: Hell no, those guys are terrifying.

I'd ask that you stick with it. My favourite characters are Lafayette and Sam.

SG/Atlantis - At first it was a little... odd, but it grew on me. I haven't seen it in a while, but if you're looking for some scifi (syfy?) to watch, I'd recommend giving it a try.

Another show that grew on me was Californication. I have a feeling that Wifezilla will really like it (esp. the character of Becca). I blame David Duchovny for the downfall of the X-Files and have really never liked him. That being said, he plays a very unlikable character in this show. The cool thing, though, is that even though he's a complete asshole, he truly has a sense of honor and loves his family deeply - he just has a few issues.

fett said...

Not...watch...Hot Fuzz? I don't know what that means. Does not computer. WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH TACO?!

I was trepidatious (that a word?) over Tropic Thunder but it really was good.

S'funny you should mention the Castle. I was at Best Buy before Christmas, the girlfriend needed to buy a gift and I had a powerful urge to buy Big Lebowski. I saw Castle season 1 out and in less than 2 seconds it was in my hand. I really need to catch up with season 2.

I liked 9. But I'm one of those folks that thought the story in the feature was weak. The visuals made up for it. For me at least.

Anna Paquin sucks.

The girlfriend and I are taking turns making each other watch our favorite TV series. I'm currently forcing Farscape on her (she loves it). Her turn will either be Buffy or Stargate. I...really...don't like Stargate. So I'm "hoping" it will be Buffy. Frankly neither gets me excited.

fett said...

Does not computer? God I suck.

Also, Noq, you crack me up.