Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Good, the Bad, and the Fugly

Coyote yelled at me the other day for failing to update my blog for a month. In truth, that's been largely because the world has rained shit hip deep in Tacoland, and I'm loath to write about such things because a) nobody wants to hear it, and b) I tend a bit toward melodrama when I write about myself, and it leaves me vaguely embarrassed later. So I've generally tried to only post things that happen to or around me which I find funny, but there's been a bit of a dearth of funny lately.

But since Coyote's been after me, I figured I'd give the whole thing a go.

The Good: Kidzookie's first day of real school was today. It's kindergarten, but it's at a real elementary school, and they follow the same schedule as all the older kids. I took the morning off to ride down to the school with him and walk him to his class today, since the first day is the only time we're allowed to do that. Both kids wound up bawling -- my son because he didn't want to stay, and my daughter because she didn't want to leave ("No, daddy, I wanna go kinnergarden! I saw a playground and they have crayons!"). It was thoroughly awesome, if bittersweet.

The Bad: I found out this kid who worked on our team last summer got a job with our company. He was a nice enough kid, but couldn't code his way out of a wet paper bag, largely due to the fact that he absolutely refused to admit when he didn't know something. We spent the entire summer encouraging him to ask questions (or, indeed, to answer honestly when we asked questions beginning, "So, do you know anything about..."), but when he left after three months, we had very little from him that we could use. He finished up a master's degree and got hired by a different team in our company, and probably makes more than I do now.

The Fugly: I don't really feel like treading this ground publicly, so instead, here's a place you can buy some fugly underwear.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If I knew hounding you would work I'd hound you everyday.

Takeoffyourpantstakeoffyourpants.

Let me know when that starts to work.

I still can't believe you're a parent when I'm still (mentally) a child.

I gotta get me some ugly underwear. I gotta.

The Taco Prophet said...

I've bought a few pairs from there. They're actually surprisingly well made. And, at least through the last time I ordered, they come in a big chinese food container, and there's a fortune cookie on top containing a "yo mama so ugly" joke.