Monday, August 31, 2009

On a gathering storm comes a tall, handsome man

Girlzookie starts her second year of preschool this week. After this year, it's public school for her. I'm getting old.

Kidzookie finishes his first quarter of second grade this week. He's finally getting real homework, to my relief and to his chagrin. He's bitchy and whiny about it, but adapting reasonably well.

Disney is buying Marvel. This is wonderful news. Marvel has gone pretty much as far as they can in destroying their own name. Disney can help them take their game to the next level.

Beat the story mode of Batman: Arkham Asylum last night. Great game, fun story. Gotta do all the extra modes it offers now, as well as play back through to pick up all the junk I missed. Whee.

Ran a few instances with my guild this weekend. That's a big deal for me. I'm very instance-phobic, largely because I'm convinced I'll fuck it up for everybody. Didn't go too badly, though, and I had a great time. Signed on for a big cross-guild run that's supposed to happen this weekend. We'll see how that goes. Maybe I'll no longer be such a WoW hermit.

Didn't manage to write any new content last night, but I did go back through and do some more light editing to the last bit I wrote. Happier still with it. More new story tonight hopefully. Steady progress continues, though, and that's good.

Work continues to be insane. The grammar we're supporting is bizarre. Wrote some pretty wild code to support it, gnashing my teeth the entire time and muttering about how much easier support would be if the grammar was in any way related to what they were trying to accomplish. But nobody ever asks me. The team lead chuckled at my pain, then indicated that v2.0 of the grammar is even worse. Fun. On the other hand, I guess if the grammar is so hard to write for, it's that hard to use... and that makes our software a necessity for our users. Reminds me of this Dilbert strip.

4 comments:

fett said...

I'd tell you instances are fun, but it really depends on the group you go with. But they CAN be totally fun. It boggles my mind you've played WoW this long without doing many instances.

The Taco Prophet said...

My instance experience thus far is almost exclusively runs for instances that I can solo because I've far outleveled them. I've probably got under 10 level-appropriate runs under my belt (three of which were Saturday night). Had a blast running them, but then again, three of the other guys in the group were guildies that I spend all night talking trash with :)

fett said...

That's....that's what instance runs are for!

The Taco Prophet said...

So far, that's been what guild chat has been for in my case.

My instance binge continues unabated. We did ToC several times last night, then did an H-ToC run, then ran H-Occ for one of the guys, and then because when I binge, I fucking binge, we did HK. The group was going to continue on into VH but I had to go to bed. Got some pretty cool toys out of it though. Yay.