Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I lack what they call "social skills."

So yesterday my stomach wasn't doing all that great. Let's just gloss over the details and say that what I did to the bathroom wasn't pretty, and it took three flushes of our industrial grade toilets to undo the damage.

I washed up and left the bathroom. A woman was leaving the women's room at the exact same moment, and she stopped and gave me a look of... well, not horror, exactly. Perhaps concern?

It was an awkward moment, and I lack the social finesse to navigate such treacherous waters. But, I reasoned, I've never seen this woman before, so she must work for the other company on our floor. What's the worst that could happen?

So I did the first thing that popped in my head, which seemed pretty funny at the time:

I held up three fingers and said, "That's right. Three flushes." And I walked off for the breakroom to reload on caffeine.

When I stopped to fish my access badge out of my pocket, she walked past me. As in going the opposite direction of the other company on our floor. I watched until she got to the end of the hallway, scanned her badge, and entered our office space.

Shit.

Heh. Shit. I just caught that.

Oh hell... I'm doing it again.

5 comments:

suyapi said...

Shit, that's funny. Every time you see her from now on, you should totally just flash her the 3 sign, and strut. That's right. Strut.

Grimmstail said...

Question. When you held up three fingers did you show the shocker? Cause that would be extra funny.

The Taco Prophet said...

Damn! Missed opportunities!

Unknown said...

Well now she's your official bathroom buddy and you're obligated to seek her out the next time you go and ask if she wants to join you.

Anonymous said...

A guy I used to work with called it the walk of shame. He defined it as anytime you have to walk past someone leaving the bathroom that might know you just did serious damage.