Monday, November 30, 2009

Because: Moar!

On my morning commute today I was behind a car with the personalized plate: MORE DPS. I couldn't agree more.

Guess tomorrow's the big reveal. Much of my desk is already cleared out. Hmm.

Got my rejection from F&SF this weekend. I only got as far as one of the assistant editors. Still, it wasn't a form letter, but a real letter with a signature, which was nice. Granted, they just pasted my name and my title into a Word doc -- I found the same rejection, verbatim, online -- and hit print, but even so, quite nice, I thought.

Not sure where I'll send it next. Asimov's has a bunch of hoops you have to jump through, and that seems like a lot of trouble for a rejection. I went through my list of lower-tier publications last night, and the majority of them have gone under. No big surprise there, I guess... it's a tough business. Many of the remaining places have non-continuous submission windows, and the one I want to hit up next stops accepting submissions... carry the one... today. Rather than push the deadline, I'm thinking I'll just wait till they open it up again (sometime in February I believe).

Meantime, I briefly mastered the intense depression that swallows me whole every time I look at Tezarul, tweaked it to match some requirements, and submitted it to a flash fiction place.

Spent the weekend getting that website side project in a fit state for development again. I lost my work when the mac died a while back, and had to rejigger it from my backup. That gave me the opportunity to correct a few mistakes I made in the deployment process in my first pass, which was nice. But I wound up spending most of a night trying to de-fuck (technical term) some mangled files, which was frustrating. End result: it's back and in better shape than before, and I'm making headway again. I got the basic security stuff set up and working, so I'm able to restrict content to users with certain rights now. Next up: storing passwords encrypted instead of in plain text.

Got my Buffy set and it is indeed awesome. Kidzookie and I binged on season 1 almost immediately, and he's hooked, especially on the standalone eps that don't really advance the overall plot. Wifezilla's coming around, too. She's watched an episode or two a night with me for the past few nights. I have hopes that she'll soon admit that she's actually enjoying the show.

As a result, yes, Coyote, I'm afraid that (much like almost everything I Netflix lately) Tropic Thunder is going to pull a longish stint on my coffee table before being viewed. But I've got a good reason this time, at least. I'm binging on 7 seasons here, man.

My hands hurt like hell all the time any more. Perhaps it's time I planned a graceful exit from 40 hours of typing a week for some time down the road?

3 comments:

fett said...

Tropic Thunder was very good. One of the very first dates with my girlfriend was going to Blockbuster and picking up that and My Name is Bruce. I knew it was a good sign when she heartily agreed to those choices.

Driving home from Chicago on Sunday I saw a license plate that read HLLO NRS. I liked it.

The Taco Prophet said...

Animaniacs++

I always wanted to do a machinima video in WoW set to their Ballad of Magellan. I have grandiose visions of toons wearing pirate gear riding the boat out of Booty Bay, the captain dying at the hands of murlocs... glorious. The recording capability is built into the mac client, but I don't think I can get enough people together to record it. Le sad.

The Taco Prophet said...

You also reminded me of this story from my college days:

I'd gone to speak to one of my professors outside of class. The Comp Sci department at Clemson was a hobo scattering all over campus back then. We had no Comp Sci building. We had two classes in the Lit building, one in the Poli Sci building, one in the Physics building, one in the math building... our computer labs and the grad student offices were in the basement of the Bio Sci building... you get the idea. The Nursing department had donated part of the fourth floor of their building to house the faculty offices.

Anyhow, I followed said prof out of class and we were arguing about some point or another while we walked back to his office in the nursing building. We got on the elevator, and I said something about how it sucked that we didn't have a building for our department. The elevator stopped, and a couple of (very attractive) nursing students got in. We went up to the 4th floor, got off, and when the doors closed, he looked back and said, "I don't care if they give us a building, I'm not leaving this one."